Are you one of the 48% of Americans who check their social media apps in bed, during the night, or as soon as they wake up in the morning? Would you use the term “obsessed” or “addicted” to describe this behavior? The folks at SocialHype and OnlineSchools.org have compiled some compelling statistics about Facebook that detail our fixation with the platform… We’re hooked, for sure.
- 1 in 13 people on Earth are on Facebook
- 71% of U.S. Web users use the platform
- 48% of 18- to 34-year-olds check Facebook as soon as they wake up
- About 28% check Facebook on their smart phones before getting out of bed
- 30% of Facebook users are 35 or older
- 48% of young Americans said they get news about current events through Facebook
- There are 10 million comments posted on Facebook every 20 minutes — that’s 500,000 comments per minute
Which of these statistics apply to you? And what do you believe is responsible for making Facebook this successful? Is Facebook an amazing way to connect or does it foment addition?