YouTube is one of the most powerful marketing tools on the Web. It has grown to one of the world’s largest social media communities, and it has the ability to increase a brand’s online presence dramatically for a fraction of traditional marketing costs.
Here are some key YouTube statistics:
- 145 million unique visitors per month
- More than 2 billion views per day, nearly double the prime-time audience of all three major U.S. broadcast networks combined
- 24 hours of video are uploaded every minute — more video is uploaded to YouTube in 60 days than all three major U.S. networks created in 60 years
- The average person spends 15 minutes per day on YouTube
- 70% of the site’s traffic comes from outside the U.S.
Many brands that have embraced YouTube as an advertising medium are skilled at harnessing its full potential — they have created sponsored channels for their products. YouTube ads are a cheap source of traffic, and can drive viewers to other social media profiles (like Facebook) or Web sites with clickable call-to-action overlays.
Many sponsored brand channels have large audiences — a great example is Old Spice, which was wildly popular earlier this year. Here are the current top 10 ranked by number of viewers this month, along with their current featured videos:
1. BlackBerry: BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 – Official video
2. Windows Phone: New Windows Phone 7 Official Ad
3. Fanta France: Elie Semoun is Professor Kassos
4. adidas Basketball: Dwight Howard and Slim Chin — “Fast Don’t Lie” Music Video
5. Sony Pictures: Official “Priest” Trailer
6. adidas Originals: MEGA Diner 2010
7. Nokia: N8 TV ad — It’s not technology, it’s what you do with it.
8. Electronic Arts Poland: “Medal of Honor” Trailer Premiere
9. Tourist Movie: Official Trailer
10. City of Seoul: Fever Seoul Top 6